Friday, February 27, 2009

holy paint batman


Greg had the day off today so we did a little organizing and the crawl space under the stairs was getting out of hand. There were so many half used paint cans that have been piling up from my love of "change". We just kept the cans that the walls are painted now for touch ups and will be getting rid of all the others. Every spring our city has a free drop off for stuff like that and I'm sure it is coming up soon so now we can dump it all there. We are also working on the little projects around the house that are half done. I painted some trim so greg can cut it and finish our entryway baseboards and then I worked on the trim in our bedroom and master bath that was started a few years ago and never finished. That is such a job painting over wood it takes a million coats to look good. I probably spent 3 hours and it still needs a couple more days worth to be done. We are toying with the idea of moving but not really sure yet. This is a horrible time to sell but such a great time to buy so it is kind of a wash that way. There are many things we love about our house but the biggest thing that Greg and I have always wanted was more land. We live in a suburb and have a nice size lot compared to the city I think we have about 1/3 of an acre but the neighbors are still so close. I love all our neighbors but I just would love a hobby farm. I have always wanted chickens and a huge wooded yard for more privacy. The other big thing I want is a separate studio on the lot that could be my sewing studio. That way I could walk out there and be in complete privacy when doing all my crafty stuff it would be my own private oasis. Greg could also have a work area for all his projects too. A few of the places we are checking out have some out buildings on the lot and big pole barns that would be great for storage. The 2 biggest drawbacks for moving are Greg would have a little longer commute maybe 20-30 minutes extra a day which really isn't too bad. That would be about 10-15 minutes one way so 20-30 total on top of a 20 min. commute right now but since he is all over the city at any given time it could be shorter or longer. The other thing is my client base is perfect and I am sure most would not drive an extra 45 minutes when I get another salon set up in my house. I would have to start fresh with new clients and also make sure the town we moved to allows in home businesses. Most all do but some are harder to get licensed for so jumping thru all the hoops could be interesting. So those are things we have to weigh out. We have 7 houses set up with our realtor to check out on sunday so it will be interesting to see what is out there. We will probably come back home and say wow our house is so much better let's just stay??? I think the places we are going to see all have 3+ acres. Many of them are in foreclosure right now so they might be kinda scary. I can't believe how many foreclosures there are out there and I am sure there are plenty more to come in the future. It really is sad how our economy is looking. So even if we decide to stay put at least all our projects will get done around here, They have been bugging me!!! The thought of packing and moving really sounds like a ton of work. We plan on having a big garage sale this spring so we can get rid of a bunch of stuff. If we do decide to move I wouldn't want to list the house until the end of april the first of may so we have a couple of months to get things done and not feel rushed. If we decide to stay then all our projects will be done by spring and we can enjoy the outdoors cuz we always have tons of projects out there!!! Either way it is a win win for us. I love looking at homes. We have been in this house for 10 years and a change would be fun...maybe

3 comments:

  1. Sounds fun but it does seem scary to spend more money right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if we go out a little further we actually can spend less on a home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Good luck house shopping :) I believe that when you find the perfect house, you just know.

    ReplyDelete