Saturday, March 14, 2009

placed an order

I did it!!! I finally decided on what breeds of chickens I wanted and placed an order with a guy an hour 1/2 from me. The hatch day is april 6th so I am not sure if I pick them up that day or the next. The only problem is he doesn't sex so I am buying a few of each breed to hopefully get at least one hen from each breed.  Also depending on what hatches will play a role in the birds I end up with. The 4 different ones I want are 3 bantam polish called buff laced , golden laced, white crested and the other one is a white silkie. The back up breeds would be polish silver laced (not bantam) and an easter egger they lay the blue/green eggs. If he ends up with any extra polish breeds like a blue I will take that too I am so excited and pray out of 12 chickens I get at least 4 hens in a good variety!!! He charges $6 per bird. I just love the look of the polish with their hair-dos!!! I am also torn about placing an order from an online hatchery but the min. is 25 birds they ship but I could get 25 birds for the same price as the 12 from him but they might not be the breed I really want. why does it have to be so hard to find a chicken around here!!! I can't wait for the state fair this fall and see all the cool chickens. well either way in a few weeks we will be run over with chicken poop and feathers!!!

1 comment:

  1. While we have alot of things in common wanting to raise chickens is not one of them! I will have to live through your experience as this is not one I want to experience myself!

    ReplyDelete