Wednesday, April 8, 2009

going out on a limb


I am just driving myself crazy trying to speculate what are going to be hens or roosters. The average is a 50-50 chance so if that is the case 6 out of 12 will be hens. I will just laugh it only 2 turn out to be hens. Oh well I'll just have to sell the roos and buy more chicks....I have a pretty good idea that the 2 bigger black silkies are roos. They always coming running at my hand when I stick it in the brooder and they are big bullies always pecking at everyone. They are also much bigger than the other 2 silkies that were hatched the same time. They just have the 'tude that roosters are known for. It will be interesting to find out in a couple months. So on that bit of info I have went out on a limb and have named one of the 12 chicks. I am pretty sure she is going to turn out a hen...just a little" Sheila" intuition and I am usually pretty good but not all the time. So the chick I named and hopefully is a hen is Pearl the only white chick and she is a silkie. She is tiny and just so sweet and mellow. She loves falling asleep in my hand and just passes out on her back all cozy in my palm with her lil' chicken legs hanging. Everyone is doing well and I hope we make it thru without any casualties. They are probably sick of me holding them but that is one way to make them use to being handled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment